Are you a self-starter with great attention to detail? Are you flexible and able to work in a fast-paced environment? Do you have experience in performing revenue and expense analysis for the preparation of budget and monthly financial comparative reports? Do you have advanced experience in performing financial analysis? If so, we want to hear from you.
We also welcome veterans and transitioning military. Are you a former member of the military with experience as a Logistics Specialist, Auditor, Acquisition and Contracts Specialist, Accounting Officer or similar occupation? If so, we encourage you to apply. Consider joining a team of hardworking employees who work to protect and preserve water, one of our most valuable natural resources. The experience you’ve gained during your service can continue to positively impact the world with a career at Otay.
The Otay Water District offers excellent benefits, a balanced work/life environment and is a leader in the industry.
About the Position and Department
This position is in the Finance Department and reports directly to the Finance Manager. This position is also a member of a dedicated, service-oriented team where collaboration and leadership are promoted at all levels. The Finance Department is responsible for Customer Service, Meter Services, Accounting, Accounts Payable, & Payroll and has a staff of approximately 31 employees.
Applications will be accepted until there are a sufficient number of highly qualified applicants from which to make a selection. However, for the earliest consideration, please submit your application materials by January 5, 2024. For information on the recruitment process, please go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Examples of Duties:
- Performs revenue and expense analysis for the preparation of budget and monthly comparative reports; including preparation of annual published Budget and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report schedules.
- Prepares monthly reconciliations, related supporting financial analysis and annual audit schedules of assigned general ledger account balances.
- Performs daily bank reconciliations and forecasting of all District bank accounts and banking activities including: operating, payroll and investments. Audits daily cashiering activities and initiates the related posting of subledger transactions. Prepares cash flow projections, reports changes in cash and bank balances.
- Performs 7-day cash flow forecast analysis and recommends activities required to meet District obligations; prepares and initiates recommended transfer activities.
- Prepares month end financial close process including related journal entries and month-end financial reporting.
- Prepares cash summary, demands list, comparative budget reports and Board Expense reports for the Board of Directors.
- Maintains accuracy and controls related to the implementation and monitoring of water and sewer rates and structures and maintains water and sewer rate agency comparison.
- Performs reconciliation of inventory to the general ledger and implementation and monitoring of controls related to inventory transactions and execution of departmental inventory billing.
- Performs daily work order activities including, setting up, closing, posting, adjustments and reconciling/auditing.
- Prepares complex reports to San Diego County Water Authority, Metropolitan Water District, State and Federal Government and other agencies as necessary.
- Performs developer deposit activities including the opening, closing, invoicing, analyzing, auditing and refunding of developer deposits. Investigates and resolves job cost discrepancies.
- Monitors, analyzes, maintains records, and prepares, as necessary, billings, deposits, payments, collection, contractual obligations, and supporting documentation related to cell-site, golf course, deferred billing or other miscellaneous billing.
- Updates and maintains records for prepaid expenses, insurance, collected fees, SDCWA and City of San Diego. Analyzes and calculates monthly insurance amortization’s and maintains insurance expense records. Maintains updated records related to vehicle insurance coverage.
- Generates weekly check runs and related positive pay files.
- Reviews legal invoices for proper account coding.
- Analyzes and calculates accrued reimbursement agreements, rental income receivables, prepaid receivables/expenses, notes receivables and deferred credit/income.
- Updates and maintains records for audit of accrued interest and interest notes.
- Recommends and implements changes in accounting systems and procedures including internal controls, process improvements and new District functions.
- Performs departmental and cross-functional special projects including: water sales, energy usage and other ad hoc requests.
- Maintains documentation of related departmental Standard Operating Procedures and cross-training of backup personnel.
- Performs budgeting, reconciliation and monitoring of property tax receivables; prepares necessary documents related to the submission of property tax information to the County of San Diego.
- Performs para-professional to professional accounting work related to payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable.
For the complete job description go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
A valid California Driver’s License and a safe driving record.
Minimum Experience, Education, and Training Requirements
Two (2) years of professional accountant work in analyzing and maintaining accounting and financial records and reports.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position.
Otay Water District is a Smoking, Tobacco and Nicotine Free Campus.
All Otay Water District employees are at-will pursuant to California Water Code, Section 71362.
To apply for this job please visit otaywater.gov.