$26.85 – $37.00/Hourly
Are you looking for a job that allows you to work outdoors in sunny San Diego? Do you have excellent customer service skills and the ability to work independently? If you would like to work for an employer that offers excellent benefits, a work/life balance and is a leader in the industry, we want to hear from you.
We welcome veterans and transitioning military. Are you a former member of the military with experience as an Utilitiesman, Avionics Technician, Quartermaster, or similar occupation? If so, we encourage you to apply. Consider joining a team of hardworking employees who work to protect and preserve water, one of our most valuable natural resources. The experience you’ve gained during your service can continue to positively impact the world with a career at Otay.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with great attention to detail, and prior data entry experience with high level of accuracy, and experienced in driving pre-determined routes, and comfortable working with computers.
About the Position and Department
The position may be appointed at either level depending upon qualifications and experience. The position is in the Finance Department and reports to the Meter Services Supervisor and performs work reading water meters, recording readings and completing computerized meter reading service orders. Observes and reports meter or service defects in order to maintain the meter area. The Finance Department is responsible for Customer Service, Meter Services, Accounting, Accounts Payable, & Payroll and has a staff of approximately 31 employees.
Applications will be accepted until there are a sufficient number of highly qualified applicants from which to make a selection. However for earliest consideration, please submit application materials by October 6, 2023. For information on the recruitment process, please go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Examples of Duties
Both Levels Include
- Reads water meters on an assigned route; uses a laptop to retrieve data from Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) meters.
- Downloads and uploads meter reading data on meter reading system.
- Identifies readings, which appear low or high. Notifies customers of potential leaks or reports the need for testing and further investigation to meter maintenance staff.
- Manually records special meter reads for openings/closings, unusual consumption and monitoring.
- Answers customer questions regarding water service when appropriate or refers customers to appropriate work group.
- Identifies meter malfunctions and/or service defects, and issues work orders for malfunctioning meters.
- Operates a District vehicle as required.
- Documents and reports water ordinance violations including water theft or meter tampering.
- Processes work order requests using the applicable computer systems; enters work completed and updates status.
Meter Reader II duties also includes:
- Monitors remote reading system and investigates reading errors as needed.
- Assists in sequencing of new meters.
- Reports the need for investigation of possible meter tampering.
- Installs, removes, repairs, inspects and tests water meters of one (1) inch or less.
- Responds to customer calls regarding water meter leaks, high usage or other related concerns.
For the complete job descriptions go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
Both levels require a valid California Driver’s License and a safe driving record.
Minimum Experience, Education, and Training Requirements
Both levels require a High school diploma or G.E.D.
Meter Reader I
One (1) year of customer service and/or clerical experience performing data entry and/or performing work on a predetermined driving route.
Meter Reader II
One (1) year of recent experience performing similar duties to the level of the Customer Service Field Representative I.
- This position is subject to random drug testing during employment.
- This is an hourly, non-exempt position.
- Otay Water District is a Smoking, Tobacco and Nicotine Free Campus.
All Otay Water District employees are at-will pursuant to California Water Code, Section 71362.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.