Website Otay Water District
Are you an experienced and highly skilled electrical, electronic, and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Technician with knowledge of design and software programming of SCADA systems? Are you a former member of the military with experience as a Nuclear Electronics Technician or Navy Missile Technician? Do you have experience with pressure, temperature level and flow detectors/instruments? Do you have experience with Distribution Control Systems and possess exceptional problem-solving skills? If so, we would like to hear from you.
The Otay Water District offers excellent benefits, a balanced work/life environment and is a leader in the industry.
About the Position and Department
This position may be appointed at either level depending upon qualifications and experience. The SCADA position is part of the Water Operations Department and reports directly to the System Operations Manager. This position is a member of a dedicated, service-oriented team where collaboration and leadership are promoted at all levels.
The Operations Department is responsible for Utility Maintenance, Fleet Maintenance, Pump/Electrical, Reclamation Plant Operations, SCADA, and Water System Operations and has a staff of approximately 54 employees.
Applications will be accepted until there are a sufficient number of highly qualified applicants from which to make a selection. For information on the recruitment process, please go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Examples of Duties
Essential Functions for both levels:
- Programs, designs and configures Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and proportional Integral Derivative Controller (PID).
- Installs interior and exterior wiring for equipment and specialized circuitry for SCADA equipment.
- Installs, configures, and troubleshoots SCADA communications equipment and provides network and telecom support for SCADA equipment.
- Operates all electrical and electronic test equipment, including meggers, ammeters, voltmeters, multi-meters, oscilloscopes, calibrators and signal generators.
- Performs preventative maintenance using current technology including software-based diagnostic systems.
- Performs troubleshooting, installation, maintenance, and calibration of process and analytical instrumentation.
- Enters and reviews purchase requisitions, work orders, and work requests.
- Requisitions, receives, inventories, and stores parts, materials and equipment.
- Maintains computerized electrical drawings.
- Maintains and provides for security of tools, materials and equipment.
- Conducts informal training in the operation and maintenance of installed SCADA equipment.
- Operates District vehicles as required.
- Responds to emergencies as required.
- Enters and works in confined work spaces.
- Identifies and recommends opportunities for improvement.
Additional duties for the Sr. SCADA/Instrumentation Technician:
- Programs and upgrades central SCADA Server Software.
- Performs design and software programming of the SCADA system.
- Determines communication protocols and provides network and telecom support for SCADA equipment.
- Reviews and develops process and instrumentation diagrams, including Ladder Logic.
- Develops process control logic for instrumentation to support control functions.
- Documents changes to programming and process control.
- Assists supervisor with preparing budget, staff reports and other periodic reports.
- Assigns tasks in the field as necessary.
- Sets project priorities and reviews completed work as needed to ensure work is completed in a timely manner and to standards.
For the complete job description go to the Employment section of our website www.otaywater.gov or click here.
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
- Both levels require a valid Class C California Driver’s License and a safe driving record.
- CCST (Certified Control System Technician) Certification, desired.
Minimum Experience, Education, and Training Requirements
Senior SCADA/Instrumentation Technician: Four (4) years of journey level experience in programming, design, installation and maintenance of SCADA (Distribution Control Systems) and instrumentation systems and associated hardware/software and technology.
SCADA/Instrumentation Technician: Three (3) years of electronic/instrumentation experience including a minimum of one (1) year experience with SCADA-related (Distribution Control Systems) instrumentation systems and associated hardware/software and technology.
- Both levels require a High school diploma or G.E.D. A valid Certified Control System Technician (CCST) certificate, successful completion of an accredited electrical/electronic technician apprenticeship program, or an Associates degree in electronics technology, mechanical engineering or related field may be substituted for up to two (2) years of experience for either level.
Both positions will be subject to random drug testing during employment.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position.
Otay Water District is a Smoking, Tobacco and Nicotine Free Campus.
All Otay Water District employees are at-will pursuant to California Water Code, Section 71362.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.