Website Padre Dam Municipal Water District
Do you have exceptional leadership, communication and project management skills? If so, Padre Dam Municipal Water District invites you to apply for our Director of Engineering & Planning position as we are seeking a dynamic individual who will utilize those skills to lead our high performing engineering teams.
Under policy direction of the Chief Executive Officer/General Manager, incumbent is a member of the senior management team and is responsible for planning, organizing and directing all activities within the Engineering Department. This includes the areas of capital improvements, planning, project design, environmental review, plan checking, right-of-way, contract administration and construction inspection to provide cost effective water, recycled, and wastewater facilities and services. This position oversees the District’s multi-million annual capital improvement program as well as coordination and approval of all facility expansion with developers prior to construction or acceptance by the District. Duties include: supervising staff to include scheduling, organizing, assigning, training and conducting performance evaluation; developing goals, policies, and priorities for engineering staff as well as for facility replacement and expansion; writing reports, planning concepts, and designs; coordinating activities with other departments and agencies; serving as a liaison for the District or Board of Directors on regional water, recycled water and wastewater groups; determining projects required to maintain the integrity of the water, recycled and wastewater systems and implementing through construction; and acting as a District representative for media and in court.
1. Supervises staff to include scheduling, assisting with goal setting, assigning and monitoring work, ensuring training, resolving conflicts, coaching staff, interviewing applicants, conducting performance evaluations, handling disciplinary actions and making hiring decisions.
2. Provides general direction to department supervisors and managers and coordinates all issues needing Board approval or policy direction for the department.
3. Develops goals, policies, and priorities for Padre Dam’s infrastructure to include: determining the need for new or replacement facilities, process for work, and coordinating and negotiating with related parties for both District and developer infrastructure.
4. Participates on the Management Team for Padre Dam by determining items to bring to the team and assisting in making decisions.
5. Oversees the administration of the capital improvement budget; reviews and recommends approval for all construction plans including cost estimates.
6. Prepares or oversees the preparation and evaluation of technical studies, reports related to engineering services; analyzes and evaluates study results and implements findings.
7. Oversees the administration of construction contracts; reviews and approves construction progress payments; approves construction change orders; coordinates the resolution of field construction problems and construction claims.
8. Serves as a liaison to Board of Directors include presenting items to the Board; Serves on committees as assigned.
9. Coordinates departmental activities with those of other departments, governmental agencies and other outside organizations; resolves problems and complaints.
10. Negotiates complex agreements. Prepares, reviews, and interprets agreements and contracts and prepares for signature.
11. Develops and administers the department budget; evaluates staffing needs, equipment, materials, and supplies with key management staff; authorizes and monitors expenditures.
12. Determines infrastructure projects for construction to include setting priorities and schedules for work to be accomplished.
13. Acts as a representative for media, or in court for Padre Dam projects.
14. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Knowledge, Skills, Training, Experience & Licensing
- Managerial and leadership theories and principles;
- Budgeting and planning theories and principles;
- Advanced Civil Engineering principles, including Engineering Economy;
- Contracts and construction methods;
- Construction management;
- Federal and state laws and regulations;
- Appropriate safety practices and regulations;
- Padre Dam rules and regulations.
- Developing and implementing departmental goals and policies;
- Directing and managing engineering projects;
- Preparing detailed reports;
- Solving problems;
- Using computers and related software;
- Making presentations;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Training and Experience:
Master’s Degree in Engineering or a related field and seven years increasingly responsible administrative/management experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- State of California Professional Engineer (Civil or Environmental) registration;
- Valid California Driver’s License.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.