Padre Dam Municipal Water District
The System Operator / Technician class is responsible for monitoring, maintaining and operating the recycled and potable water distribution systems and the waste water collection system. Under general supervision, this position performs skilled repairs, preventive maintenance on pump equipment and related systems such as: pumps, motors, valves, surge arresters, chlorinators, and air compressors. The incumbent is responsible for participating and implementing operational strategies with an effort to maintain the highest water quality for our customers, responding to calls and inquiries related to system operations and assisting with emergency situations. Duties include: monitoring the operation of the recycled and water distribution system utilizing the District’s SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) system; monitoring water quality parameters; monitoring and adjusting flows from reservoirs, intakes, San Diego County Water Authority Flow Control Facilities, and turnouts; monitoring and regulating valves, pumping facilities, chlorination and other related equipment; operating automated and SCADA controls; documenting and evaluating data collected in the field; monitoring sewage lift stations and sewage collection systems; performing preventive maintenance, servicing and performing minor repairs on equipment; preparing and maintaining required documents and paperwork; optimizing operations to reduce energy expenditures; troubleshooting and repairing pump equipment and related systems; performing operational tests on motors, turbine and centrifugal pumps and various valves; evaluating the condition of related and auxiliary equipment and making recommendations for repairs; performing minor electrical work; assisting with the inspection of work done by contractors; purchasing equipment and supplies; providing input for yearly budget considerations; responding to after-hours system emergencies; and such other duties as may be assigned.
- Semi-complex computer controlled distribution and collection systems;
- Understands job related Water Quality parameters;
- Applicable rules and regulations;
- Safe work practices and regulations;
- Valves and metering apparatus;
- Pumps and related systems;
- Automatic control valves and solenoids;
- Principles, methods and techniques utilized in system operations;
- Chlorine and chlorine safety;
- Works well independently and in a team environment with minimal supervision;
- Exercises good judgment and maintains effective working relationships.
Skills: (depending on area of assignment):
- Monitors water distribution and collection operations;
- Adjusts valves and flows;
- Monitors equipment operation;
- Uses precision measuring, hand and power tools;
- Reads and understands maps, blueprints, schematics, technical manuals, and rough sketches;
- Maintains and troubleshoots problems with pumps, motors and related systems;
- Uses computers and related software applications;
- Has good communication and interpersonal skills, interacts well with peers, supervisor, and the public.
Training and Experience(position requirements at entry):
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.); and,
One year of related basic repair and maintenance experience; OR
Two years’ experience in installing and repairing pumps, motors and related systems OR,
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licensing Requirements:(depending on area of assignment):
- Valid California Driver’s License;
- State of California Water Distribution Operator Grade D2 is required for Grade 18 – 19.
- State of California Water Distribution Operator Grade D3 is required for Grade 21.
- State of California Water Distribution Operator Grade D4 is required for Grade 23.
- Plant Maintenance Mechanical Technologist Grade II certificate from the CWEA is desirable;
- State of California Water Treatment Operator Grade T1 certificate is desirable.
Placement in the a specific grade is up to the discretion of the supervisor.
Supplemental Information: Written testing for this position will occur the last week of August with interviews happening the 2nd week of September.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.