Website Vista Irrigation District
Hourly Pay: $55.57 to $67.55
$115,594 to $140,508 Annually
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Under the general direction of the Director of Administration, oversees the District’s general accounting system, including general ledger, job costing, fixed assets, accounts payable, statistics, and financial reporting. Conducts special projects, coordinates external audit, maintains fiscal controls, and determines financial reporting requirements. Directly supervises accounting, finance, payroll, purchasing and warehouse functions. Advises management on current accounting and finance related principles, practices and methodologies.
1. Oversees District finance system. Performs complex accounting tasks and is responsible for revenues and disbursements, billings, cost accounting, payroll, lease management, accounts payable and receivable, and expenditure information.
2. Oversees, the preparation of various special financial reports for both internal use and those required for submission to various governmental agencies on a variety of specialized topics including complex financial, analytical, budget, legislative or administrative issues.
3. Performs complex analysis for various projects including the District’s Water Rate Study.
4. Performs and is responsible for the payroll function including various annual required reporting utilizing the third-party payroll system Paychex.
5. Reviews interpretations of payroll rules, policies, and laws in conjunction with Human Resources staff.
6. Backs up finance staff by performing their daily, weekly, quarterly, and/or year-end duties on an “as needed” basis.
7. Oversees the preparation and administration of the operating and capital budgets.
8. Reviews various accounting and financial documents such as payroll, quarterly financial statements, board expense report, etc.
9. Coordinates the integration of computer-based systems for Finance and works with Customer Service Department related to the Utility Billing component of the integrated software.
10. Reviews the annual audit of District financial records and systems, and directs the preparation of management’s discussion and analysis.
11. Oversees the preparation of the update of the District’s fees and pass-through water rate adjustment calculations.
12. Maintains and audits the accounting for District jobs, including capital projects, development work and internal jobs.
13. Oversees the purchasing function which includes ensuring compliance with District policies on purchasing, budget, legal competitive bidding requirements, procuring supplies, services and equipment, negotiates with vendors and initiates and monitors contracts.
14. Oversees the warehouse function, which includes the ordering, receiving, storing and issuing of materials and equipment.
15. Capitalizes construction projects in conformance with government accounting standards.
16. Conducts special studies. Formulates and makes policy and procedure recommendations related to accounting, finance, purchasing, etc.
17. Documents departmental procedures, which requires analysis, observation and effective communication of this information, orally, graphically and in written form.
18. Develops and monitors internal control systems.
19. Oversees, trains and reviews staff in all aspects of accounting applications and special projects.
20. Supervises and evaluates the performance of:
– Senior Accountant
– Purchasing Agent
– Accounts Payable Clerk
– Inventory Control Clerk
21. Performs other related duties as assigned.
A combination of education, training and experience, which demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to perform the job duties. A typical qualifying background is:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting or related field;
· Current, active State of California CPA license;
· Recent experience supervising accounting and/or finance staff;
· Experience managing multiple projects with competing priorities; and
· Sound communication skills;
· Additional desired qualifications include:
· Recent experience supervising and reviewing payroll staff;
· Highly skilled in using the Excel spreadsheet program.
· Experience preparing and presenting staff reports to a board of directors.
Must possess and maintain an active license as a Certified Public Accountant issued by the State of California.
Must have a valid California driver’s license and must be acceptable to the District’s automotive liability insurance carrier.
Must establish and maintain effective working relations with other personnel and promote good relations with the public.
To apply for this job email your details to MBernal@vidwater.org