Website Vista Irrigation District
Please visit our website at www.vidwater.org to apply.
Hourly Pay: $30.10 to $36.59
Under direct supervision of the Construction Supervisor, performs hard physical labor in a variety of the construction trades and maintenance areas involving the District’s structures, mains, and appurtenances. As a condition of employment, this position is required to standby and work as an emergency crew (duty) person on a rotating basis covering nights, holidays and weekends. Applies all standard safety practices.
1. Performs hard physical labor and works as a member of a crew in the construction and maintenance of District structures, mains and appurtenances.
2. Installs and performs maintenance and repair on water mains, valves, service laterals, fire hydrants and other appurtenances within the District’s potable water system.
3. Operates construction equipment such as soil compactors, pneumatic hammers, paving tools, compressors, pavement rollers, dump trucks, etc. Checks crew truck and loads necessary supplies.
4. Excavates and backfills trenches; removes and replaces asphalt and concrete surfaces.
5. Assists in set up of string lines for grades and job preparation.
6. Assists with water distribution related tasks such as emergency and scheduled shutdowns, including notifying customers and other affected parties and/or agencies and ensuring District compliance with its National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit. Investigates, troubleshoots and reports leaks in the water distribution system.
7. Standby and work as an emergency crew (duty) person on a rotating basis covering nights, holidays and weekends. Emergency crew personnel are required to be able to report to the District’s headquarters facility within 45 minutes. Employees on standby may not consume alcoholic beverages or be under the influence of controlled substances, as described in the District’s Personnel Policies Manual.
8. Performs related work as assigned.
1. Education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school. Experience in construction and/or maintenance in a water or sewer utility is desirable.
2. Must have a valid California driver’s license and be acceptable to the District’s automobile liability insurance carrier.
3. Must establish and maintain effective working relations with other personnel and promote good relations with the public.
4. Must possess a Water Distribution Operator D1 certification (or higher) administered by the California Drinking Water Certification program or obtain the required certification within one year of starting work in this position.
5. Must pass fit testing for an air purifying respirator.
To apply for this job email your details to MBernal@vidwater.org