Website Vista Irrigation District
Please visit our website at www.vidwater.org to apply.
Hourly Pay: $26.00 to $31.60
Under direct supervision as a trainee, performs hard physical labor in a variety of construction and maintenance activities involving District structures, mains, and appurtenances. As a condition of employment, this position is required to standby and work as an emergency crew (duty) person on a rotating basis covering nights, holidays and weekends. Applies all standard safety practices. Utility Worker Trainee may be promoted to Utility Worker once proficient in all duties of the position.
1. Installs and performs maintenance and repair on water mains, valves, services, fire hydrants and other water distribution system appurtenances. Installs and replaces water meters (including digital or electronic meter reading devices); excavates trenches, ditches and culverts; and performs a variety of general building maintenance repairs. Assists with stocking and general housekeeping of assigned vehicles.
2. Performs preventative, corrective and landscape maintenance functions in and around pump stations, reservoirs and other District facilities. Loads tools, supplies and equipment.
3. Operates a variety of equipment such as soil compactors, pneumatic hammers, paving tools, compressors, dump trucks, cutting/soldering torches, mowers, weed trimmers, etc.
4. Performs routine logging and record keeping activities on forms and/or computer record systems.
5. Assists with water distribution related tasks such as emergency and scheduled shutdowns, including notifying customers and other affected parties and/or agencies and ensuring District compliance with its National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit. Investigates, troubleshoots and reports leaks in the water distribution system.
6. Standby and work as an emergency crew (duty) person on a rotating basis covering nights, holidays and weekends. Emergency crew personnel are required to be able to report to the District’s headquarters facility within 45 minutes. Employees on standby may not consume alcoholic beverages or be under the influence of controlled substances, as described in the District’s Personnel Policies Manual.
7. Performs related work as assigned.
1. Education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school. This is an entry-level position, although experience in construction and/or maintenance in a water or sewer utility is desirable.
2. Must have a valid California driver’s license and be acceptable to the District automobile liability insurance carrier.
3. Must establish and maintain effective working relations with all District personnel and promote good relations with the public.
4. Must pass the Field Services Department rotation.
5. Must pass fit testing for an air purifying respirator.
To apply for this job email your details to MBernal@vidwater.org