San Diego Regional Water/
Wastewater Internship Program
Water you waiting for? Get started in a career in water
Applications for the 2023-2024 program year will be accepted beginning April 10 through May 30, 2023. Originating in 2006, this is the 17th year the regional internship program has been providing practical, on-the-job experience to interested students, and a talent pipeline of potential candidates to the water/wastewater industry. Interns are placed with our member agencies and partners for four (4) eight-week rotations through Water Treatment, Wastewater Treatment, System Operations, and System Maintenance, providing the opportunity to learn more about the field of water, while showcasing their skills, talents, and knowledge to potential employers. The future remains bright for students looking to become leaders in the region’s water industry. Together, we continue to build the talent pipeline for the next generation.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Gain practical work experience this next school year through a paid temporary assignment in the water industry. Learn more about the San Diego Regional Water and Wastewater Internship Program and the application process.
The San Diego Regional Water and Wastewater Internship Program provides students enrolled in water technology courses with on-the-job paid training and exposure to career opportunities. Careers in this field are not hard to find, as the industry is experiencing an increased demand for qualified staff. Working in this industry helps make a positive difference in the local environment and community. A select number of students are selected each year to rotate through four different 8-week career experience modules: System Maintenance, System Operations, Water Treatment and Wastewater Treatment. Completion of the program provides students with the necessary knowledge and training to apply for state water and wastewater certification exams.
THE APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
- APPLY. The application window for the 2023-2024 program year is April 10 through May 30, 2023. Submit an online application, statement of interest, and supplemental questionnaire during this time. Applications will be screened by a panel of mentors and a select number of candidates will be invited to a panel interview.
- PREPARE! If selected for an interview, be ready to tell the panel why you want to work in the water industry, what sets you apart from other applicants, and what other skills you have to offer. If selected for placement, you will be required to provide proof of a valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under each agency’s vehicle insurance policy, undergo a background check, drug screen and physical, and provide the required employment authorization documentation.
- ENROLL in the Fall semester/quarter in a Water and Wastewater Technology education vocational program at Palomar College or Cuyamaca College. Interns must maintain a “C” or better in college coursework to remain eligible for the program.
- BEGIN YOUR INTERNSHIP! Interns are asked to commit to a maximum 27-hour workweek for approximately 33 weeks. Placements are made throughout the County, so you may be placed at agencies in North, South, and East county over the course of your internship.
- GRADUATE from the San Diego Regional Water/Wastewater Internship Program by completing four (4) 8-week rotations. As you begin your assignments, don’t forget to keep a log of your work activities each week, equipment/tools you used, and industry terms that you learned. It could serve as a useful guide to build your resume and prepare for interviews. Start applying for job opportunities in the water industry.