The water industry relies on talented individuals who have the training to create, maintain, and repair mechanical equipment. This precision work requires problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to use both complex and heavy equipment to plan and carry out the operations needed to make machined products meet precise specifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of basic techniques of shop theory and bench work such as chipping, sawing, filing, drilling, welding (MIG and ARC), soldering, gearing, threading, grinding and heat treatment;
- Maintenance and repair of a variety of equipment including hydraulically and pneumatically operated machinery;
- Arithmetic functions needed for precise measurements in performing machining duties;
- Safety rules and regulations in the workplace, field, and while operating equipment; and
- Familiarity with basic composition, characteristics, and uses of commonly used machine shop metals and materials.
- Ability to read/modify schematic drawings, blueprints and do layout work; and
- Understand and interpret the designs and measurements indicated on equipment or parts specifications.
- Skills to use various tools in machining work proficiently to include the safe and efficient use of hand tools, measuring devices, and portable power tools and machine tools.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade is generally the minimum educational requirement.
- Two years of journey-level experience in the design, installation, maintenance and repair of complex mechanical equipment and devices common to a large water works is a typical experience requirement.
Temporary Full Time Meter Reader (approx. 6 months)Helix Water District Setting standards of excellence in public serviceEl Cajon, CA
Inspector I/IIHelix Water District Setting standards of excellence in public serviceLa Mesa, CA
Inspection SupervisorHelix Water District Setting standards of excellence in public serviceLa Mesa, CA
Lead Pump MechanicCity of CoronadoCoronado, CA
UTILITY WORKER TRAINEEVista Irrigation District Please visit our website at www.vidwater.org to apply.VISTA, CA
Assistant Operations & Maintenance ManagerVallecitos Water DistrictSan Marcos
Water Resources AideVista Irrigation District Please visit our website at www.vidwater.org to apply.Lake Henshaw