The water industry relies on talented individuals who have the training to create, maintain, and repair mechanical equipment. This precision work requires problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to use both complex and heavy equipment to plan and carry out the operations needed to make machined products meet precise specifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of basic techniques of shop theory and bench work such as chipping, sawing, filing, drilling, welding (MIG and ARC), soldering, gearing, threading, grinding and heat treatment;
- Maintenance and repair of a variety of equipment including hydraulically and pneumatically operated machinery;
- Arithmetic functions needed for precise measurements in performing machining duties;
- Safety rules and regulations in the workplace, field, and while operating equipment; and
- Familiarity with basic composition, characteristics, and uses of commonly used machine shop metals and materials.
- Ability to read/modify schematic drawings, blueprints and do layout work; and
- Understand and interpret the designs and measurements indicated on equipment or parts specifications.
- Skills to use various tools in machining work proficiently to include the safe and efficient use of hand tools, measuring devices, and portable power tools and machine tools.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade is generally the minimum educational requirement.
- Two years of journey-level experience in the design, installation, maintenance and repair of complex mechanical equipment and devices common to a large water works is a typical experience requirement.
Utility Crew Member I/II/IIIHelix Water DistrictEl Cajon, CA
Meter Reader I/IIHelix Water DistrictEl Cajon, CA
Facilities Maintenance WorkerPadre Dam Municipal Water District Padre Dam Municipal Water DistrictSantee, CA
Utility WorkerPadre Dam Municipal Water District Padre Dam Municipal Water DistrictSantee, CA
Water Utility Specialist I/IICity of Del Mar Public Works DepartmentDel Mar
LABORER TRAINEEVista Irrigation DistrictVista, CA
CONSTRUCTION WORKERVista Irrigation DistrictVISTA, CA
Inspector I/IIHelix Water DistrictLa Mesa, CA
Wastewater Utility Specialist I/IICity of Del Mar Public Works DepartmentDel Mar
Utility Worker I or IIOtay Water DistrictSpring Valley, California