The water industry relies on talented individuals who have the training to create, maintain, and repair mechanical equipment. This precision work requires problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to use both complex and heavy equipment to plan and carry out the operations needed to make machined products meet precise specifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of basic techniques of shop theory and bench work such as chipping, sawing, filing, drilling, welding (MIG and ARC), soldering, gearing, threading, grinding and heat treatment;
- Maintenance and repair of a variety of equipment including hydraulically and pneumatically operated machinery;
- Arithmetic functions needed for precise measurements in performing machining duties;
- Safety rules and regulations in the workplace, field, and while operating equipment; and
- Familiarity with basic composition, characteristics, and uses of commonly used machine shop metals and materials.
- Ability to read/modify schematic drawings, blueprints and do layout work; and
- Understand and interpret the designs and measurements indicated on equipment or parts specifications.
- Skills to use various tools in machining work proficiently to include the safe and efficient use of hand tools, measuring devices, and portable power tools and machine tools.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade is generally the minimum educational requirement.
- Two years of journey-level experience in the design, installation, maintenance and repair of complex mechanical equipment and devices common to a large water works is a typical experience requirement.
CONSTRUCTION WORKERVista Irrigation DistrictVISTA, CA
Utility Worker I/IIRamona Municipal Water DistrictRamona, CA
Wastewater Collection System Worker I/IIVallecitos Water DistrictSan Marcos
Utility Worker I or IIOtay Water DistrictSpring Valley, CA
Plant Maintenance SupervisorCity of OceansideOceanside
Meter Service Worker I/IIVallecitos Water District Water & Wastewater Specialists since 1955San Marcos
Mechanical/Electrical SupervisorVallecitos Water District Water & Wastewater Specialists since 1955San Marcos
Chief, Water OperationsOtay Water DistrictSpring Valley, California