Transitioning Military

SkillBridge Program

Jamaal BenjaminThe San Diego County Water Authority and many of its member agencies participate in the Department of Defense Skillbridge program to promote civilian job training for transitioning service members. Any service member within 180 days of leaving the Military can seek a full-time (40-hours per week), unpaid internship with an employer for up to six months.

You can create a short profile to let employers know you are AVAILABLE to participate with specifics on dates, locations and desired jobs/fields. You can do this one year before your separation date. You can also search through a list of employer opportunities across the country by location, industry and date available. Positions can range from mission critical positions in water (e.g. System Operator, Utility Worker, etc.) to any position in the water industry (e.g. Information Technology, Finance, Cybersecurity, Human Resources, etc.).

The San Diego County Water Authority and many of its member agencies have partnered with HireMilitary as an authorized organization for the SkillBridge program. For more information, or to search for internships in the San Diego region, visit:

Information for Transitioning Military Personnel New to Water

There’s never been a better time to train for a career in the water industry. Veterans who train for jobs or transfer skills and expertise to jobs in the water and wastewater industries enjoy diverse career opportunities, competitive salary and benefits packages, and typically excellent career stability. The work is critical to the future of everyone in the San Diego region.

An excellent resources as you transition to a career in water is Cuyamaca College Center for Water Studies. Recognized as one of the most veteran-friendly community colleges in southern California, the Center for Water Studies provides pre-employment training as well as advanced courses in water and wastewater technology for those interested in career advancement. Courses prepare students for certification examinations administered by the State of California as well as those administered by professional associations within the water and wastewater industry.