Wastewater Treatment Operator
Water-treatment-plant operators control processes and equipment that remove pollutants in water so it is safe to drink. Wastewater-treatment-plant operators perform similar duties to ensure wastewater can be returned safely to natural areas or be reused.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General knowledge of routine facility and equipment maintenance and cleaning methods.
- Skill in operating wastewater treatment plant equipment, including automatic control devices performing routine maintenance and making operating adjustments to wastewater treatment equipment;
- Cleaning and painting facilities and equipment and operating assigned plant equipment without immediate or detailed supervision
- Ability to recognize unusual, inefficient, or dangerous operating conditions and take appropriate action;
- Accurately read and record data from gauges and meters; instruct and direct the work of lower level employees;
- Interpret plant, piping, and distribution diagrams; and
- Perform routine control tests and adjust plant equipment accordingly
- Typical experience requirements include four years journey-level Operator and/or Stationary Engineer experience in the maintenance, repair and operation of a variety of mechanical and electrical pumping and related plant machinery of a water or wastewater treatment plant; or four years journey-level experience as a Marine Engineer performing duties in the areas of maintenance, repair and operation of a variety of mechanical and electrical pumping and related machinery; or completion of a recognized four year Stationary Engineer apprenticeship program.
- A Wastewater Treatment Plant operator’s Certificate, Grade II or higher, issued by the California State Water Resources Control Board. A Water Treatment Facility Operator’s Certificate, Grade I or higher, issued by the California State Department of Health.
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator I/IIVallecitos Water DistrictSan Marcos
Senior Wastewater Plant Operator – T11313-202210City of San Diego Municipal/GovernmentSan Diego
Wastewater Operations Supervisor – T11483-202304City of San Diego Municipal/GovernmentSan Diego
Senior Wastewater Operations Supervisor – T11084-202211City of San Diego Municipal/GovernmentSan Diego
Water Treatment Operator IISanta Fe Irrigation DistrictRancho Santa Fe, CA