Website Padre Dam Municipal Water District
Padre Dam Municipal Water District is seeking a Highly Motivated, Customer Service Oriented Utility Construction Worker to join our team.
Incumbents are responsible for installation, repair and maintenance of water and sewer systems and related components. Duties may include: working alone or as a member of a crew in installing and repairing water services and fire services; maintaining mains and valves; installing and repairing sewer mains and laterals; performing maintenance of manholes, mains and laterals; maintaining and repairing recycled water pipelines; performing wet taps on mains under pressure; performing basic maintenance of pump stations, reservoirs, valves, sewer trunk lines, force main, lift stations and influent pump station; operating equipment as assigned including the closed circuit television truck and vactor truck; responding to and performing emergency repairs for water and sewer problems; removing and replacing concrete and asphalt; constructing walls and fences; performing general yard cleanup; and, repairing damages resulting from vandalism. Incumbents in this class may be required to receive and respond to after-hour calls.
- Performs utility construction and maintenance repair activities to include: installing and repairing water services and fire services; maintaining mains and valves; installing and repairing sewer mains and laterals; performing daily maintenance of mains and laterals; maintaining and repairing recycled water pipelines; performing wet taps on mains under pressure; and, performing basic maintenance of pump stations, reservoirs, and valves.
- Operates equipment as assigned by crew lead or supervisor in performing utility maintenance repair activities. Equipment may include dump trucks, vactor trucks and closed circuit television truck. Assures all equipment is ready, operable and inspected prior to day’s assignment.
- Performs daily cleaning maintenance on all sewer lines, trunk lines, pump and lift stations and manholes.
- Does confined space entry, hazardous gas testing and all other duties and responsibilities of the competent person on confined spaces (if selected for Confined Space Rescue Team)
- Inspects sewer manholes and sewer easements in open fields and canyon areas, keeping sewer system components well marked, maintained, above ground and visual. Locates and maintains all sewer manholes with sewer system.
- Removes and replaces concrete and asphalt as required when performing utility maintenance activities.
- Performs a variety of other maintenance activities which includes constructing walls and fences; performing general yard cleanup; and, repairing damages resulting from vandalism.
- Responds to and performs emergency repairs on water, recycled water, and sewer problems.
- Sets up and removes traffic control equipment, performs traffic control flagging.
- Responds to after-hours calls as scheduled.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE & LICENSING:
- General heavy construction or underground utility construction;
- General understanding of water or wastewater utilities infrastructure.
- Performing construction and maintenance activities;
- Reading blueprints;
- Using hand and power tools;
- Operating equipment as assigned;
- Basic computer usage;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Training and Experience:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.) and one year experience in basic construction, preferably underground construction; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above. Incumbents must be insurable and pass a background check.
- Valid California Driver’s License; Class “A” required within one year of hire. Class A must be maintained through employment.
- At least a minimum of one of the following licenses or certificates:
- Water Distribution Operator Grade 1 certificate from the State Water Resources Control Board within one year (or two test cycles) of hire. Grade 2 is preferable.
- CWEA (California Water Environment Association) Collection System Maintenance Grade 1 certificate required within one year (or two test cycles) of hire; Grade 2 is preferable.
- Grade D2 and/or C2 are required to move into higher Utility Worker grade levels.
This position is open until filled. Periodically the District will pull and review applications and invite qualified candidates to come test and interview.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.