Applications will be accepted online until there are a sufficient number of highly qualified applicants from which to make a selection. Candidates should submit applications as soon as possible for consideration. Interviews will be held continuously until the position is filled.
First application screening April 13, 2023.
$61,875 – $82,918 per year
STARTING SALARY RANGE
$61,875 – $68,217 per year
Under general supervision, performs basic accounting work in the preparation and maintenance of the payroll system, accounts payable, and other financial and statistical records and reports; performs related duties as required.
This non-supervisory class performs tasks and maintains records related to the District’s automated payroll system or accounts payable and receivable processes. The Accounting Technician for this recruitment is mainly assigned to payroll.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Vallecitos Water District Accounting department handles payroll, accounts payable and receivable, budget preparation, and responds to audits. This position’s primary function will be payroll but is expected to train on and perform some basic accounting duties.
Primary duties for this position are payroll functions for all District employees. This includes, but is not limited to, researching and resolving payroll issues, and preparing payroll tax returns. Experience applying principles and practices of payroll, particularly in the public sector, is highly preferred. The Accounting Technician must review data from multiple sources and audit for accuracy. Accounting Technicians should have basic accounting skills to complete their non-payroll tasks. Classes or training in accounting is preferred. The successful candidate is already detail-oriented, and organization skills are vital. The preferred candidate has strong computer software skills and the ability to adapt to new programs.
The ideal Accounting Technician has prior experience handling confidential information with discretion and sensitivity. They must be capable of communicating professionally, verbally and in writing, with employees at all levels of the organization, including the Board of Directors. Payroll is biweekly and the successful candidate will stay calm during high-pressure deadlines and manage their time to complete assigned tasks. The ideal Accounting Technician wants to expand their knowledge of accounting, as well as payroll functions.
- Principles and practices of financial record keeping as well as general office procedures, related laws, and ordinances;
- Principles and practices of payroll, including related laws and regulations; CalPERS reporting;
- Principles and practices of purchasing and accounts receivable/payable; 1099 and W-9 tax documents; sales and use tax;
- Public agency budget principles;
- Skill in the operation of a variety of office equipment including a 10-key calculator and computers.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; write reports and keep accurate records;
- Understand, interpret, and apply the fundamental principles of financial record keeping and related policies and procedures;
- Reconcile differences within the record keeping system requiring an understanding of the relationship among accounting records and documents;
- Prepare manual and computerized financial reports; maintain ledgers and journals;
- Operate a calculator; operate a computer and use a variety of computer software;
- Communicate effectively with a variety of personnel and establish/maintain effective working relationships with management, public, staff, and others contacted during work;
- Understand and follow verbal and written directions; work independently;
- Perform mathematical computations.
Education & Experience
Any combination of education or experience that would likely provide the necessary knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: high school graduation or equivalent, and three years of recent experience which involved maintaining automated payroll, purchasing procedures, financial, or statistical records.
Licenses, Certificates, and Special Requirements
- None required; however, position-related certificates and licenses will be noted.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.